Monday, September 21, 2009

Ray Lewis' Greatest Play of His Career?


Here, as a friend I owe this to you all..








You're welcome. That last video should refresh your memory of Ray Lewis' "greatest play" of his career. Personally I am not a fan of hearing that term from a player or anyone related to football. I mean most recently John Madden was heard calling the "greatest Super Bowl" ever played, obviously two months later he is out. Favre does this every offseason. Two years ago it was his "greatest season," and he was one game away from the Super Bowl. Indecisiveness, patience, mixed signals, comeback demanding for trade, and got traded. Then last season it was the "greatest meltdown" ever of Favre's career. More of the same ensues. I digress, this isn't a story about an old man who can't decide what new fangled TV to get(sorry older folks), this is about Ray Lewis.


Not that I think this is going to be Lewis' last season, so I hope. Somehow if it happens I know my friends will blame me for it (sorry guys). But, Antoine, I can guarantee your argument will be irrelevant. Just makes me a little nervous, that's all.


Also I just don't enjoy this term being thrown around so lightly. Whether its best all around player, play, pass, run, linebacker, third baseman, shortstop, quarterback, running back, shooting guar(almost had me, uh Jordan!), those of you who know me know that 999,999 times out of 1,000,000 I can't just name one player. I will say that Ray Lewis is one of the greatest linebackers of this generation (honestly that is how you have to break it down). So if you don't like to hear/read someone wax poetic about Ray Lewis or the Ravens, turn away from the screen or just head to the comments section where you the mocking can commence.


Now for the rest of you let's just think about this for a second. I mean, that MVP moment was pretty awesome. Yeah you remember, when he owned the Giants in Baltimore's Super Bowl XXXV victory. Or when he owned Hall from the Titans last year? Him obliterating Kellen Winslow, Braylon Edwards and Eddie George (completely taking away his manhood, changed his career FOREVER!)? Well the answer should be yes since some of those hits were in the videos above. There are millions of Ray Lewis "hit lists" and one collaboration with Ed Reed as well.


Now the term future Hall of Famer has been thrown at Ray Lewis, it sticks. Is he one of the greatest middle linebackers in history? Definitely. Was he the base of this defense since he came here in the inaugural season? Oh yeah. Has he assisted several defensive staff members in getting head coaching nods (Marvin Lewis, Mike Nolan, Jack Del Rio and Rex Ryan)? Just answered my own question there huh. Wasn't the BBQ at Full Moon Barbecue (his old restaurant) decent, especially the BBQ meat filled potatoes? I'm drooling right now thinking about it. Have I lost you completely on the constant questioning of Ray Lewis' awesomeness? I sure hope not. Ray Lewis is the player/coach/motivational speaker for the team. So when you hear greatest stop ever (it was awesome I'm not going to lie, in fact my reaction was to leap from the couch with an, "ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh YEAH!") you really have to think about a lot of punishment that this man has delivered in his past 14 seasons.


I can't even call it the greatest Ravens hit ever. That sack Bart Scott put on Roethlisberger a couple years ago is just tops for me. This so far (yeah I know week 2 but bare with me) is the play of the season. A tough win on the other coast has a lot of folks paying attention to us when they wanted to say we couldn't repeat and get into the playoffs. This win has made people second guess that decision. Probably about as much as Norv Turner is second guessing that run up the middle today.

No comments: