Sunday, January 24, 2010

No-no Show-show fo-fo Coco?

If the title makes absolutely no sense then you probably never watched an episode of The Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien. I know that everyone has a style of humor that they appreciate, maybe Conan isn't your guy. He's my kind of guy and he will be sadly missed, at least for the next 7 months.



After some serious thought, I realized that I have basically grown up loving the things that O'Brien has done. Whether it was The Simpsons, Saturday Night Live or Late Night with Conan O'Brien I have been a fan for a long time. Mr. O'Brien, if you are reading this, A) thanks for using your free time to check out my blog and 2) you have to own a sweet game system, why read? Since he isn't reading this, because no one has that kind of free time I have been told, I will just wax poetic about his accomplishments. I could do that, bash Jay Leno or NBC. Decisions, decisions.



The high road is a choice not usually taken by yours truly, 98% of readers agree with that. I have too much respect for O'Brien to not bash Leno or the network for what they did. In all honesty, I'm sad to see such a talented guy be taken off the air. Had my emotion been anger I would bash away. Again I know some see his humor as sophmoric, self-depreciating, immature and/or childish crap. On the flip side of that, who cares? He is hilarious!


Other then the obvious skits I will miss of his, mostly his mime abilities will be missed. Whether it is the NBC exec in his evil lair stroking his cat, Sarah Palin, Larry King (suspender pull, suspender pull, glasses = the national sign for Larry King), or his many other inappropriate (guitar riff) moves that coincided with his monologue. Just filing through some Youtube clips of Late Night (just search alternate cable channels for example along with Conan O'Brien or another favorite of mine were the cameos by the Governator Arnold Schwarzanegger/Former President George W. Bush).


Many of us watched as O'Brien gave his emotional, almost tearful, state of mind regarding NBC on Friday. What people who don't watch the show, or who have half a brain, don't realize that this isn't just about Conan. During the final show, honestly the whole final week, he talked about his staff and band (Max Weinberg and the Max Weinberg 7/Tonight Show band) in very high regard. If it weren't for Jimmy Fallon lucking out and having the Roots as his band, I would agree with O'Brien that he had the best band in late night. His show has been nominated previously for it's writing accomplishments. That's right, the crew who gave us the Masterbating Bear (the self pleasuring bear as supposedly called by NBC in O'Brien's seperation papers), was nominated for awards. The great news is the staff will receive a severence, one that I hope includes Andy Richter as I don't know if he will be doing any subpar series on NBC anytime soon. Bring back Andy Richter Controls the Universe! Or just stick with Conan. Either way, it's probably going to happen on Fox.


So that is what we are all questioning now. When or if Conan will be back on a network? Will he go to cable? Will he bring back the infamous James Lipton doing weird acts segment on his show? Who knows? Until then, I will have to catch David Letterman to hear all the latest on Jay bashing. Which, in my opinion, is way funnier then Jay Walking.

No comments: